“For me, less is more. One
pill per day makes managing
my blood pressure easier.”
“For me, less is more. One
PRESTALIA is the first single-pill combination (SPC) containing perindopril and amlodipine (an ACE inhibitor and the most widely used calcium channel blocker [CCB]) indicated for first-line treatment of hypertension.1
The Simplicity of a Proven Single-Pill Combination (SPC)
PRESTALIA combines two key hypertensive agents, perindopril arginine and amlodipine besylate, and is indicated for first-line treatment of hypertension. Lowering blood pressure may prevent MI, stroke, or death. PRESTALIA has been shown to reduce these events beyond simply lowering blood pressure.2 Perindopril and amlodipine, the components in PRESTALIA have shown that they reduce cardiac events and total mortality by 46%.2
Intervention studies, including ASCOT-LLA, confirm the benefits of statins in the prevention and reduction of acute coronary syndromes in hypertensive patients with average to lower-than-average cholesterol concentrations.3
Efficacy and Dosing
Rapid and Sustained BP Control
The antihypertensive effects of PRESTALIA (perindopril arginine and amlodipine) tablets were studied in the PATH (Perindopril and Amlodipine in Treatment of Hypertension) trial.1 Peak efficacy was achieved by Week 3 and sustained to Week 6.
The highest strength of PRESTALIA (14/10) mg was studied in 837 patients in a 6-week, double-blind active controlled clinical trial.1 Patients with a seated diastolic pressure of 95 mm to 115 mm Hg received treatments of PRESTALIA 14/10 mg, perindopril erbumine 16 mg, or amlodipine 10 mg once daily for 6 weeks. At Week 6, PRESTALIA 14/10 mg produced statistically significantly greater reductions in blood pressure than each of the monotherapies.
Reduction of CV Events
Any reduction in blood pressure may reduce the incidence of heart attack, stroke and death. Both perindopril and amlodipine have proven in both placebo controlled trials and event trials to have an effect beyond just blood pressure reduction when compared to similar agents.
The safety of the maximum dose of PRESTALIA (14/10mg) was evaluated in a 6-week clinical trial of 279 patients with hypertension and compared with perindopril erbumine 16 mg and amlodipine 10 mg. Adverse reactions were generally mild and transient in nature.1
Fixed-dose combinations (FDCs): A strong offense in chronic disease management2
According to The American Journal of Medicine2:
- Noncompliance to medication regimens is reduced by 24% to 26% with FDC regimens.
- FDCs should be considered in patients with chronic conditions like hypertension.
- FDCs improve medication compliance, which can translate into better clinical outcomes.
- PRESTALIA (perindopril arginine and amlodipine) Tablets [package insert].Durham, NC; Adhera Therapeutics, Inc. 2018.
- Bertrand ME, Ferrari R, Remme WJ, et al; EUROPA Investigators. Clinical synergy of perindopril and calcium-channel blocker in the prevention of cardiac events and mortality in patients with coronary artery disease. Post hoc analysis of the EUROPA study. Am Heart J. 2010;159(5):795-802.
- The Lancet Publishing Group: Prevention of coronary and stroke events with atorvastatin in hypertensive patients who have average or lower-than-average cholesterol concentrations, in the Angio-Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes Trial–Lipid Lowering Arm (ASCOT-LLA): a multicentre randomised controlled trial. In: www.thelancet.com, Vol. 361, No. 9364, p1149-1158 [Internet]. 2003 Apr 5 – [cited 2016 Jun 15] Available from http:thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/P1150140-6736(03)12948-0/abstract.